Re: Relative and absolute symlinks

Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:42:23AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> writes:

>>>  Quite some times I experienced them to be more pain than gain,
>>> too. It might be useful if people shift around complete hierarchies,
>>> but we are not really speaking of package-internal symlinks here
>>> usually.

>> And Debian doesn't support relocatable packages in general anyway.

> Well, users are not feeling they are "relocating" a package when
> replacing one of its directories by a symlink to elsewhere; after all,
> paths of the form /original/package/file/patch still work.

That wasn't the sort of relocation that I meant.  My point was that using
relative symlinks to support moving a tree of installed files to some
other different path (from /usr/lib to /opt/foo, say) isn't something that
our package manager supports.

But your other message lays out a scenario where that does make sense.