Re: Relative and absolute symlinks

Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> writes:
> * Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> [2008-08-15 16:47:41 CEST]:

>> So, is there any reason at all to use relative symlinks?
>
>  Quite some times I experienced them to be more pain than gain, too. It
> might be useful if people shift around complete hierarchies, but we are
> not really speaking of package-internal symlinks here usually.

And Debian doesn't support relocatable packages in general anyway.

We should clearly use relative symlinks within the same directory, and
probably from a directory to a subdirectory, but I do wonder about the
merits of any symlink containing ../.  I'm not sure what we'd lose by
making any symlink that climbs directories absolute instead of relative,
and I think we'd definitely gain from having somewhat less weirdness and
breakage in corner cases.