Re: Policy restriction to depend on font packages

Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> writes:

> ttf-opensymbol comes out of openoffice.org itself (easily checkable) and
> is needed for basic operation. You won't get any bullet in OOos lists
> without it.

Even if you're running an X font server on a different host that is
providing that font?  Does that not work?  (I haven't tried to use one
since TTF fonts became possible, and don't know if it even works with

> You don't really want that as a Recommends, do you?

The reason for the Policy requirement for Recommends is to enable font
servers and not require all the fonts be installed locally when you're
running a font server.

It's possible that font servers are quaint bit of computer history that no
one cares about any more, though, in which case Policy should change.