Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 01:11:54PM +0200, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> On 2008-07-09, Chris Waters wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 09:05:11AM +0200, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)
> wrote:
> > >   -> AFAIK there's no fundamental reason why Debian couldn't switch
> > > from menu to .desktop to specify the desktop entries (aside from the
> > > necessary coding not having been done to adapt menu to do so)

I disagree with that statement. I provided sufficient rationale in the
past, so I will only give some example: menu support dynamically generated
menu entries (using executable menu files) in the default configuration.

> > Debian menu files specify things that .desktop files don't and (in
> > their current incarnation) can't.  Most notably, the "needs" field.
> > The .desktop files have a simple boolean flag for "runs in terminal".
> > That's inadequate for Debian's needs.  For example, Fvwm modules
> > *must* be invoked by Fvwm.  It would be pointless and stupid to put
> > them in any menu but Fvwm's.  So, the Fvwm modules need "fvwmmodule",
> > not "text" or"x11".  That's simply not possible with .desktop files.
>

> The OnlyShowIn field of .desktop files, is meant exactly for the above use

It does not: the XDG draft specify the value for OnlyShowIn: these are
Desktop Menu Specification,
Annex B. Registered OnlyShowIn Environments

GNOME	GNOME Desktop
KDE	KDE Desktop
ROX	ROX Desktop
XFCE	XFCE Desktop
Old	Legacy menu systems

this list does not include FVWM.

I disagree with using .desktop files for something outside the XDG
menu specifications. I disagree with using Debian-specific extension to the
XDG menu specifications for using them outside the XDG menu
specifications. This will only lead to confusion between real .desktop
files and Debian specific .desktop files.

Cheers,
Bill.