Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

On 2008-07-09, Chris Waters wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 09:05:11AM +0200, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> > -> AFAIK there's no fundamental reason why Debian couldn't switch
> > from menu to .desktop to specify the desktop entries (aside from the
> > necessary coding not having been done to adapt menu to do so)
>
> Debian menu files specify things that .desktop files don't and (in
> their current incarnation) can't. Most notably, the "needs" field.
> The .desktop files have a simple boolean flag for "runs in terminal".
> That's inadequate for Debian's needs. For example, Fvwm modules
> *must* be invoked by Fvwm. It would be pointless and stupid to put
> them in any menu but Fvwm's. So, the Fvwm modules need "fvwmmodule",
> not "text" or"x11". That's simply not possible with .desktop files.

The OnlyShowIn field of .desktop files, is meant exactly for the above use

Anybody know of any other concrete worries?

> Debian menus are generated. There's no advantage in generating them
> from .desktop files,

the advantage would be that for the growing amount of programs for which upstream already includes .desktop files (complete with translations), Debian doesn't need to create/maintain one.

> because the format of the output of the generator is what matters, not the
> format of the input. Generating Debian menus from .desktop files would
> not change a thing, except that we'd have to rewrite the generator.

that's a 'someone who cares enough needs to step up and do the work', which leaves the ball in the camp of whoever wants to push the switch
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)