Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 01:46:58 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> The XDG menu specification isn't anywhere near formalized enough or
> sufficiently well-followed in Debian to be meaningfully standardized
> in Debian Policy.  If people want to see it become Policy, they need
> to fix how it's implemented in the archive first, which is probably
> going to require significant work with Gnome, KDE, and the XDG
> standardization process upstream.  Right now, different
> implementations can't even agree on the permitted keys, let alone on
> the menu categories.

I concur.  I was perhaps insufficiently clear on that point in my first
email, but given the discussion in bug #484656 I have come to agree
with that conclusion.  That's why I lean toward debian-menu as the main
menu, with modifications to menu-xdg to use .desktop files when
supplied, so that things like translations get included (unless
debian-menu also has translations, in which case that yet another
example of duplication of effort the current situation creates).

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore