Re: gnome, kde, xfce use non-policy main menu

Hi,

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 02:42 -0400, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> For discussion:
>
> Gnome, KDE, and XFCE are the the top three desktops used in debian and
> cover most users of desktops in debian.
>
> They all use xdg .desktop-based menus as their main menu.
>
> xdg .desktop-based menus are not covered by policy.

Honestly, policy really needs to be updated to use the XDG standards
menu spec, and every WM at this point really should be using them for
their menus.

I think the debian-menu system should be seen as legacy, since it has
been replaced with a standard used and supported by many upstreams and
many other distros.

However, there's a few places where debian-menu is a better solution
though. (It can be used to build menus for many WMs which do not support
XDG, but honestly, do we need all these WMs?)

Another solution would be to make debian-menu build .desktop entries for
the menu in the main menu namespace and not the 'Debian' namespace; this
seems like the easiest solution.

William