Re: consistent tftpboot directory location [RFC]

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 04:38:33PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> writes:

> > And it should :
> >       * Define /srv/tftp as the default tftp root directory.

> I think encoding this directory into a package default violates the FHS
> requirements for /srv, although I'm not sure.  It's hard for me to tell
> where the line should be drawn.  Distribution packages are not allowed to
> assume anything about the layout and organization of /srv, since that's
> reserved for the local administrator.  But I don't know if offering a
> default via debconf constitutes making assumptions.

FHS 2.3 says:

    The methodology used to name subdirectories of /srv is unspecified as there
    is currently no consensus on how this should be done. One method for
    structuring data under /srv is by protocol, eg. ftp, rsync, www, and cvs.
    On large systems it can be useful to structure /srv by administrative
    context, such as /srv/physics/www, /srv/compsci/cvs, etc. This setup will
    differ from host to host. Therefore, no program should rely on a specific
    subdirectory structure of /srv existing or data necessarily being stored in
    /srv. However /srv should always exist on FHS compliant systems and should
    be used as the default location for such data.

I would argue that using /srv/tftp as a default path is using it "as the
default location for such data", and that this is consequently a correct and
proper use of /srv, as long as no package attempts to install data there.

Cheers,