Re: Re: consistent tftpboot directory location

Hello,

As I were writing an email about the consistency of tftpboot directory,
I fount a previous debian-policy thread [1] where it seemed that a
consensus were already met.
(If you wonder why I'm interested with this, see [2])

I've worked on the following policy snippet. Your comments are welcome :

11.12 Packages providing a tftp server

Packages that provide a tftp server (tftpd) which meet the criteria
listed below should declare in their control data that they provide the
virtual package tftp-server.

To be a tftp-server, a program must:

      * Provide a program named "/usr/bin/tftp-get-root-location" which
        returns the location of tftp root, as currently configured by
        the system owner.Note that because of this, all TFTPd packages
        must have Provides, Conflicts and Replaces: tftp-server control
        file fields.
      * Support the command-line option -e command, which creates a new
        terminal window[78] and runs the specified command, interpreting
        the entirety of the rest of the command line as a command to
        pass straight to exec, in the manner that xterm does.

      * Support the command-line option -T title, which creates a new
        terminal window with the window title title.
And it should :
      *

What about :
1. Choosing a single tftpd _default_ location (/srv/tftp seems
   reasonable to me even though I've never used it;)
2. State that compliant tftp daemons should provide the virtual
   package "tftp-server".

This would make package maintainer and system-admins life easier. The
documentation would be clearer too.
Finally, other packages would be able to provide files in that directory
easily (like: fai-quickstart, ltsp-server-standalone, syslinux'
pxelinux.0, elilo.efi... not to mention netboot d-i).

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2005/03/msg00046.html
[2] http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/di-netboot-assistant/