Re: English variant used in package descriptions

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 03:44:28 +0000, Simon Waters <simon@technocool.net> said:

> One item I noted whilst checking spelling in package descriptions is
> there is variation in the spelling due to national variations in
> English spelling.

> Although it goes against my patriotic instincts, should Debian prefer
> the US spelling of words which vary between variants of English?

        I am not sure that resolving this belongs in the technical
 policy manual.  There are no integration issues that hang off this
 question, and I, for one, would be happy to let the answer devolve to
 the maintainer in question.

        I do not think there is technical rationale sound enough to make
 it worth forcing people to be unpatriotic :-).   Also, Debian is
 created by the joint effort of many hands, and this heritage should not
 be hidden: we are not the borg, we are all different, and as long as
 the differences do not detract from the excellence of the
 distribution, I think we should applaud the differences, not try to
 shroud ourselves into the banality of a seneseless consistency. (IMNSHO)

        The search Engines still currently need to handle the fact that
 the world does not spell English words the same. that British and
 American English variants about, and not just in Debian package
 descriptions.

        manoj
--
"We don't care.  We don't have to.  We're the Phone Company."