Re: Phoning home

Steve Langasek wrote:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 07:26:37AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 04:25:28PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:16:29AM +0100, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
Speaking as a human being, I would suggest that Debian policy should be
that all "phoning home" MUST be enabled explicitly, and MUST be turned
off by default.
"should" here would only mean that we've failed to correctly define "phoning
home".

So that'd be something like "Packages should not communicate on the
network except as specifically necessary for their functionality. In
particular they must not `phone home' by contacting a central service to
report user statistics back to the author, unless the user specifically
enables that option." ?

s/should not/must not/, then yes. :)

No, I think "should not" on the first sentence is good.
I think it is difficult to require the strict "necessary",
i.e. the http clients usually send locale and OS information
to the server.
I think that the "must not phone home" on the second sentence
is quite enough (and BTW I like the definition of aj).

I would add an additional sentence at the end:
"Additionally, central services that are known to collect/use
unnecessary information must be avoided, unless the user
is warned".

But I let others to rewrite this sentence in a good way.

ciao
	cate