Re: Phoning home

Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 10:16 +0100, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

Think about:
apt
ntpdate
clamav-freshclam
dcc-client
icewasel
popularity-contest
and IIRC bind will check the root zone.

Except popularity contest, I'm pretty sure none of this are actually
"phone home" cases.  ntpdate must contact servers *in order to do its
job*, likewise for apt.  This is not true for the case we are talking
about.

Yes, I agree. But I read differently:
"You collect the data because I need the the job done", and two
cases:
- intrinsic to the connection
- technically not needed.

But for my privacy concerns, I find no real differences. For this
reason I would like that developer check if some data is unnecessary
collected.
I.e. if we find that debian.pool.ntp.org, clamav, ... will collect
to much unnecessary informations, I would like to be informed,
and whenether possible to have a choice to use alternate servers.

The normal "phone home" is normally a "unnecessary informations",
so also in this case, I would like to be informed, and
to have the possibility to disable such "feature",

In summary: I don't like strong policy (i.e. the MUST
in one proposed change), but I would like that the
usual behavior is stronger on privacy concerns, both
on classical "phone home", and in more hidden
"phone home" (when it is proved to be like a real
phoning home.

PS: the list:

- apt (mirrors could potentially collect data)
- ntpdate (it uses the domains under debian.pool.ntp.org,
  so we could collect data)

- clamav-freshclam, dcc-client: non debian controlled server

- icewasel: it connects (I'm sure in the past) to a remote server
  on startup (check version?, to display the initial page?)

- popcon: this is obvious, and I hope users will understand what
  they are installing.

ciao
	cate