Re: Phoning home

David Nusinow dijo [Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 08:52:53PM -0500]:
> > The problem I see here is that admin != user in all the situations.
> > IMO it should ask, or at least warn, the user and not the admin.
> > Because in the end is the user's privacy the one affected, not the
> > administrator's.
>
> You want each package to notify each user? How do you recommend this
> actually be carried out? Patching every program?

if [ ! -d ~/.phone_home_program ]
  then
    # First time the user runs phone_home_program
    ask_user_for_confirmation
    create_corresponding_configuration
  fi

Does not sound too hard to make such a complex wrapper :)

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23