Re: Draft new policy document format

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:21:10 -0500, Eric Cooper <ecc@cmu.edu> said:

>> I had the same initial reaction, but when I re-read Manoj's
>> introduction, I think he suggests that this docbook format should be
>> the *output* of an XSLT tool; the various policies would be encoded as
>> individual XML entities with a more semantically appropriate schema
>> (TBD, I guess).

>         You give me too much credit :-)

>         I was not thinking of this as an output; though if there are
>  more semantically appropriate schemas for a rule, then I would
>  appreciate people presenting them here; I am not wedded to the draft
>  format in any way.  I confess I spent only about 30 minutes to an hour
>  drawing up the draft, so if people treat it as a strawman proposal to
>  be knocked down by a better schema, the better for us, I say.

Using a specific XML schema for Policy and transforming it into other
things for publication would be really cool and a neat technical hack, but
I'm not sure that it would be work the effort of going through and
figuring out what bits of inline markup we want to support and what all
the definitions are.  On the flipside, that would answer a lot of my
concern around the style guide, since we could use a *much* more
constrained schema than the giant wad of DocBook.

But this is just speculation and commentary on my part, as I don't have
anywhere near enough experience with the XML toolset to write the schema
or the XSLT transforms and probably won't have time to learn in the near
future.