About Debian Policy translations (was: Re: Task list for a policy release)

On 01-12-2007 19:53, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 04:52:16PM -0200, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
>> 	Considering the chance of rewriting the document and using
>> UTF-8, can you consider the idea to add support for translations in
>> the build process and repository layout while doing the rewriting?
>
> Debian policy is an internal normative document, specifying technical
> aspects of the Debian OS. Please refrain from adding ambiguities by
> translating this document to other languages than English.

	You should be more confident on your fellow translators. :)

> The
> audience of this document is required to speak sufficient english
> anyway, so there is no point in translating.

	I would totally agree if the above if it reads "the primary
audience". The Debian Policy is already translated in two or three
languages, and it is very useful for our users too. In 2003 it was
[1]reported a French version of it. You will see that at that time
it was pointed that the translation is only informational, not
regulatory/mandatory.

  1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2003/08/msg00020.html

	In 2006 I wrote to get more info on how to add Brazilian
Portuguese translation in the official repository, there are also
interest from [2]Japanese translators to work on this document.
Not only that, but a user also [3]observed that Policy is a useful
document for him. Finally, Christian also [4]added some good
points why we could translate it.

  2. http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2006/03/msg00034.html
  3. http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2006/03/msg00030.html
  4. http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2006/03/msg00071.html

> Greetings
> Marc, not a native speaker of English

	Non-native speakers can take the chance to look at the
document on their own native language and use it as a reference
to build another Policy or to take a look on how we organize
some points of Debian. We can add in red with capital letters
saying that it is not regulatory and only work as an informational
reference for non-native speakers, still, it can be pretty useful.

	I hope this explains why a lot of l10n/i18n would benefit
from having translations integrated in the Policy Repository, we
can even set special policies of double review before commit to
try to have the best QA process possible for Debian Policy
translations.

	Kind regards,
- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)