Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries?

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:05:22 -0400, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> said:

>> I would rather add it as a recommended practice in policy, with a
>> note that it will become a should/must as we get better coverage, and
>> _also_ provide examples of what maintainers need to do to create
>> separate debugging symbol packages in an informative footnote.

> Well, we've made more than ~300 packages insta-buggy with policy
> changes before. It's not insta-rc-buggy. OTOH, I don't really care;
> 300 bug reports could be mass-filed w/o it being a "should" in policy.

        If I have inadvertently done so in the past, I feel the need to
 apologize, but my past mistakes do not condone me making the same
 errors again.

> Note that I've already written some documentation for
> developers-reference in #420540.

        Thanks. Now that we have released Etch, I need to be getting
 back at updating policy again, there are a number of issues sitting on
 my TODO list.

> The policy-relevant bits are that we use
> /usr/lib/debug/<path-to-object>, that the files should not be
> executable (possibly a common mistake since objcopy preserves
> executable bits IIRC), and that the package names end in -dbg and the
> debug packages depend on an equal version of the package they provide
> debugging symbols for.

        Actually, the whole writeup seems good, and some of it can be
 kept informative rather than normative.

        I'll queue this up for things to do when I do get some round
 tuits to spend on policy, and see about adding -dbg packages for the
 libraries I have.

        manoj
--
My Boss needs a surge protector.  That way her mouth would be buffered
from surprise spikes in her brain.