Re: menu section for games like billiard and mini-golf.

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 12:38:08AM +0300, Linas Žvirblis wrote:

> Bill Allombert wrote:
>
> > I wonder whether we should add a new menu sections for games like
> > billiard and mini-golf that require precision but no reflex.
>
> I moved all sports games that we have in Debian Games Team repository to
> "Simulation", and nobody objected, so I think it is a safe bet. I guess
> we could make this a policy of the team.
>
> The packages in Debian repository may be out of date.
>
> > How to name such new section ?
>
> Most sports games are accurate depictions of real life, so they fit
> inside "Simulation". The ones that do not, will find place in either
> "Strategy", or "Action".
>
> I would really like to avoid treating sports games differently only
> because they are about sport.

My point was to differentiate games that require reflex fome games that
only require precision: in those games you need to evaluate angle and
distance, but there is little time constraint, so it is not an action
game neither a pure strategy game. This would be consistant with
structuring along the way the user interface with the program.

Simulation is defined as
  Simulations of the real world
  in all detail and complexity.

I do not think billard and minigolf games fit the bill (generally).
Those games does not simulate someone holding a club/queue, but
the move of the ball for a specific angle/strength combination,
so the shots are reproducible.

If we use "Simulation" we should widen the definition a bit.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.