Re: [bug] references to dpkg-shlibdeps should be dh_shlibdeps

la, 2006-04-01 kello 10:41 +0300, Jari Aalto kirjoitti:
>  May I then propose following:
>
> - The text should mention, that there is alternative way
>   to dpkg-shlibdeps: In case of debhelper the command is
>   dh_shlibdeps which does similar things.

It is not the job of the policy manual to be a packaging tutorial. The
policy manual should document the official interfaces, and recommended
practices, when they affect the project as a whole or inter-package
compatibility. Calling dpkg-shlibdeps is the official interface. It does
not matter to anyone else whether a package does it directly or via a
helper, and so the policy should say nothing about it.

If it did, development of or improvement of helpers would become more
difficult.

> Would it be good to encourage use of debhelper over low level dpkg-*
> commands? I would see a benefit in maintaining packages in case the
> previous packager orphans on, and another picks it up.

The suggestion might be appropriate for the Debian Developer's
Reference, or one of the packaging tutorials, but definitely not in the
policy manual. Putting it into the policy manual would be a bit like the
C standard telling you what text editor to use.

Besides, there's a number of helper tools, which one are you going to
pick? (That's a rhetorical question.)

--
Code is cheap to write.