Re: [bug] references to dpkg-shlibdeps should be dh_shlibdeps

| On Friday, March 31, 2006 1:39 PM, Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@cante.net> wrote:
|
| > Section:
| >    8.6.2 How to use dpkg-shlibdeps and the shlibs files
| >
| > !   Put a call to dpkg-shlibdeps into your debian/rules file. If your
| >    package contains only compiled binaries and libraries (but no
| >    scripts), you can use a command such as:
| >
| > !     dpkg-shlibdeps debian/tmp/usr/bin/* debian/tmp/usr/sbin/* \
| >        debian/tmp/usr/lib/*
| [...]
| > I believe the (!) lines should refer to dh_shlibdeps instead. Please
| > check the policy manual for similar errors.
|
| I believe you're mistaken. The "dpkg-shlibdeps" in the first line is a
| hyperlink to section C.1.4, which describes dpkg-shlibdeps.
|
| Use of debhelper is not required in order to build packages, and
| documentation of such use does not belong in the policy manual.

Ok,

May I then propose following:

- The text should mention, that there is alternative way
  to dpkg-shlibdeps: In case of debhelper the command is
  dh_shlibdeps which does similar things.

I thought that is was quite common for developers to Debianize
packages with dh_make(1) and orienting to the policy manual was a
little surprise because it did not mention debhelper in this section.

| Similarly:
|
| adam@starbug:~$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/dpkg-shlibdeps
| dpkg-dev: /usr/bin/dpkg-shlibdeps
|
| c.f. dpkg-shlibdeps(1) / dpkg-source(1).

Would it be good to encourage use of debhelper over low level dpkg-*
commands? I would see a benefit in maintaining packages in case the
previous packager orphans on, and another picks it up.

Jari