Re: dak now supports ~ in version numbers

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > Policy documents reality, so if now the reality is that ~ is
> > supported and its use is encouraged, then yes, policy should be
> > changed ASAP.
>
>         No. Policy documents what is correct, not just any old broken
>  thing that is currently being done (not that that is the case here).

Sort of.  Refer to update-rc.d, which as currently implemented in Debian AND
described in policy is at the very least "an old broken thing that is
currently being done".

>         In this case, ~ provides a mechanism to easily package
>  pre-release versions, so it is a good thing, it has been in place for
>  a long time, the semantics are fairly well set, it has been tested
>  across the whole suite of packaging tools, so yes, now  policy should
>  document it.

That was the intended spirit of my reply, which I obviously failed to convey
properly.

  Henrique Holschuh