Re: dak now supports ~ in version numbers

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:25:28 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> said:

>> > Should we really start using this feature even though it violates
>> > section 5.6.12 of the Policy?

        Quite often, advances in packaging lead policy, which tends to
 be conservative, and wait to see  whether changes are correct, and to
 allow time for flaws to be detected and corrected.  With this
 understanding, it is perfectly OK to lead the policy document with
 innovation -- and trust the release managers to not hold that these
 chages are actually serious, or even bugs at all.

>> i'd say we should update the policy document.

> Policy documents reality, so if now the reality is that ~ is
> supported and its use is encouraged, then yes, policy should be
> changed ASAP.

        No. Policy documents what is correct, not just any old broken
 thing that is currently being done (not that that is the case here).

        In this case, ~ provides a mechanism to easily package
 pre-release versions, so it is a good thing, it has been in place for
 a long time, the semantics are fairly well set, it has been tested
 across the whole suite of packaging tools, so yes, now  policy should
 document it.

        manoj
--
You get along very well with everyone except animals and people.