Re: make -j in Debian packages

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 06:11:24PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> su, 2006-06-25 kello 16:36 +0200, Wouter Verhelst kirjoitti:
> > It has come to my attention that the gem package is currently built
> > using 'make -j 4', to have four compiler processes running at the same
> > time. This is a bit troublesome for the poor m68k buildd, which is now
> > suffering under High Load And Constant Swapping (HLACS).
[...]
> I doubt we need a policy change for this. At some point, we need to stop
> legislating and start assuming the package maintainers have common
> sense.

It's not a question of legislating; it's more a question of picking a
good option and writing the specification in policy.

I would actually like to be able to specify 'make -jX' instead of just
'make' in a build. Currently, that's not possible. The absence of common
sense in this particular example is what sparked this suggestion, it is
not what I'm trying to avoid in the future (though that is, of course,
an interesting byproduct

--
Fun will now commence