Re: make -j in Debian packages

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 09:07:40PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> It's not a question of legislating; it's more a question of picking a
> good option and writing the specification in policy.

I fully agree with Wouter on this.  Although the specification doesn't
necessarily have to be in policy (it could be in dev-ref or the
package tools documentation).  But I don't think policy is neecssarily
a bad place for it either.  Beyond telling us what we can and cannot
do, policy helps our users understand what they can and cannot expect.

I think having a standardized option here to allow "-j X" to be used
if the packaging supports it is an excellent idea.  If someone wanted
to write up an actual proposal and post it to the policy list, well,
we could at least judge the proposal on its merits, and, if it were a
good proposal, I would definitely support it.

But I don't actually care enough to write a proposal myself.  Unless you
guys want to wait until I _happen_ to find enough free time.... :)

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single