Re: Procedure to add sub-policies

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:44:28 +0200, Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> said:

> Hi, is there an established procedure on adding sub-policies (like
> the existing menu or mime sub-policies)?  Should they live in one of
> the involved packages for a while (like the emacsen policy, and show
> that they work) before being formally declared, or should they be
> treated just as any request to change the Policy?

> I am asking because we have drafted a Debian TeX Policy document¹
> and are thinking how to proceed.

        The general convention has been to put the draft policy in a
 related package, preferably one that a number of others depend upon,
 and try and get the relevant packages to conform to the policy;
 thereby working out the kinks of the sub policy. During the initial
 development of the standard/policy, this allows for the sub-policy to
 be in control of the domain experts (the maintainers of the relevant
 packages), and allows for rapid changes.

        When the policy is deemed to be sufficiently mature, and when
 most packages in question are following it anyway, the new sub-policy
 can be submitted for inclusion into the main policy as a normal
 proposal (and usually these sub-policies can be integrated pretty
 rapidly, since the kinks have already been worked out

        manoj
--
Technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not
understand.