Re: FHS version for etch

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         The reason this has not changed is because back in october, we
>  had a large, unresolved discussion both on the policy and the devel
>  mailing lists that  went over the changes, point by point, and people
>  pointed out that there were obstacles to just recommending the move
>  to 2.3

Not really that long a thread. Anyway the only points brought out in
that thread that I missed in my summary are:

 - Mentions XF86Config config file by name. But calls it optional and
   notes it's for version 4 of XFree86, and also mentions the old
   Xconfig file, so it seems x.org can slip in without problem although
   the current XF86Config-4 violates the FHS.

 - Over-specific new requirements for dotfiles. Could be weakened in
   debian policy to a recommendation (or requirement; makes Gnustep buggy)
   that config files in $HOME begin with a dot, and that throws out the
   other requirements.

--
see shy jo