Re: upstream field in package description

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 09:41:46PM +0200, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to ask for adding a new field to Debian package descriptions
> which defines the upstream source of a package, that is the location where
> the original sources were downloaded and probably optional as another field
> the upstream authors, like:
>
> Upstream-Source: http://www.getithere.org
> Upstream-Author: Foo Crew <foocrew@getithere.org>
>
> IMO at least the upstream source field should become mandatory for Debian
> packages in future. On some packages it's really not that easy to trace back
> the original upstream source, because not every maintainer is adding that to
> the copyright or README.Debian file.
>
> What do you think?

1) Debian Policy mandate the information in the copyright file already:

12.5. Copyright information
---------------------------

     In addition, the copyright file must say where the upstream sources
     (if any) were obtained.  It should name the original authors of the
     package and the Debian maintainer(s) who were involved with its
     creation.

2) Developers-reference propose the following:

6.2.4. Upstream home page
-------------------------

     We recommend that you add the URL for the package's home page to the
     package description in `debian/control'.  This information should be
     added at the end of description, using the following format:

           .
            Homepage: http://some-project.some-place.org/

     Note the spaces prepending the line, which serves to break the lines
     correctly.  To see an example of how this displays, see
     http://packages.debian.org/unstable/text/docbook-dsssl.html.

3) Information about upstream website tend to get outdated, so stable
packages are likely to include outdated informations.

The Developers-reference proposal allow a stable user to go to
package.debian.org to read the description of the unstable version of
the package and get a more up-to-date information.

4) Some upstream authors do not want their email address to be exposed.
To their defense, someone buying the getithere.org domain might be
surprised to receive spams addressed to the foocrew user.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.