Re: upstream field in package description

* Christian Schoenebeck [Fri, 13 May 2005 21:41:46 +0200]:

> IMO at least the upstream source field should become mandatory for Debian
> packages in future. On some packages it's really not that easy to trace back
> the original upstream source, because not every maintainer is adding that to
> the copyright or README.Debian file.

> What do you think?

  That if a package does not contain those two bits of information in
  the copyright file (author and where to get the source), you should
  file a serious bug against the package, since the Debian Policy §12.5
  mandates that such information must be present.

> I would like to ask for adding a new field to Debian package descriptions
> which defines the upstream source of a package, that is the location where
> the original sources were downloaded and probably optional as another field
> the upstream authors, like:

> Upstream-Source: http://www.getithere.org
> Upstream-Author: Foo Crew <foocrew@getithere.org>

  Hence no need for this, its place is not the description but the
  copyright file, already.

  Cheers,

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

When all is summed up, a man never speaks of himself without loss; his
accusations of himself are always believed; his praises never.
                -- Michel de Montaigne