Re: Debian Menu policy leads to confusion

Section:	Apps/CD and DVD
Example apps:	graveman, gnome-baker, dvdisater

We should probably try to be more generic here.

What about merging this with File Management? (dvdisaster would fit into System just fine)

Well we could have a sections Apps/Net/News

I was afraid that there are too few packages that would fit here, but after taking a closer look, it does not seem to be the case.

Maybe Apps/Net/Monitoring ?

I will include it.

does antiviruses have menu entries ?

Yes. Look at avscan. There are also at least a couple of GUI antivirus projects (Gnome antivirus, ClamTK) that may end up in Debian one day.

Section:	Apps/Webmaster
Example apps:	bluefish, screem, gphpedit

Maybe that could be Apps/Editors/Web ?
We could also have a Apps/Editors/I18N for programs for l10n people.

I was thinking of separating web development tools, because there are quite a lot of them and they also include (for example) tools for uploading websites that are not editors.

Editors is probably not worth splitting, because it would include many different tools sorting them into sections might be difficult. A good example is subtitle editor. It is an editor, but what subsection would it belong in?

Could you post the tree of sections ?

I will edit my draft an post it as soon as I will have enough time.

We will probably have to make simulations, but I think adding
subsubsections produce on average more usable menus that adding
subsections at this stage.

I agree.