Re: Debian Menu policy leads to confusion

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 06:41:56PM +0200, Linas ??virblis wrote:
> While I am at it, here is an update. Hope you will find it useful.
> [+]
> Section:	Apps/CD and DVD
> Example apps:	graveman, gnome-baker, dvdisater

We should probably try to be more generic here.

> [!]
> Section:	Apps/Databases
> Example apps:	gaby, pgmonitor, MDB viewer [WHAT PACKAGE IS THIS IN?]

mdbtools

> Section:	Apps/Net/Web browsing
> Example apps:	elinks, epiphany-browser, liferea

Well we could have a sections Apps/Net/News

> Section:	Apps/Net/File transfer
> Example apps:	amule, gftp, d4x
>
> [+]
> Section:	Apps/Net/Mail
> Example apps:	mutt, mozilla-thunderbird, tin
>
> [+]
> Section:	Apps/Net/Chat
> Example apps:	xchat, gaim, gnomemeeting
>
> [+]
> Section:	Apps/Net/Other
> Example apps:	gip, ettercap, iptstate

Maybe Apps/Net/Monitoring ?

> Section:	Apps/System
> Example apps:	top, avscan, gpgkeys

Probably network monitoring could be in Apps/Net/Monitoring ?
does antiviruses have menu entries ?

> Section:	Apps/Webmaster
> Example apps:	bluefish, screem, gphpedit

Maybe that could be Apps/Editors/Web ?
We could also have a Apps/Editors/I18N for programs for l10n people.

Could you post the tree of sections ?

We will probably have to make simulations, but I think adding
subsubsections produce on average more usable menus that adding
subsections at this stage.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>