Re: GNUstep and FHS

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> writes:

I do not really see a problem here. All gnustep packages store
files in a (at least sort of) FHS compliant directory:
/usr/lib/GNUstep

Are the files stored there only object files, libraries and internal
binaries not intended to be executed directly by users? [This is quoted
From the FHS]

No. GNUstep is not FHS compliant and will probably never be fully.

It is not very different from perl, python, emacs, java (and more) packages
that have a "filesystem" of it's own and managed there.

Listing Perl, Python and Emacs here is totally wrong (and I don't know
enough about Java packaging to speak about it). Perl is the best
example: Architecture-dependend data is stored in /usr/lib/perl{/,5/},

I find headers in /usr/lib/perl/5.8.7/CORE (package perl) and also under /usr/lib/perl5/. Are these headers Architecture-dependent ?

There is also a lot of arch-indep data (including .txt, .gif, .css, .html ...) in /usr/lib/mozilla, /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox, /usr/lib/mozilla-thunderbird, /usr/lib/aspell, /usr/lib/openoffice ...

arch-indep data in /usr/share/perl. Perl scripts that are intended to be
used directly go to {/usr,}/bin. There's not a "filesystem" in
/usr/lib/perl, only a tree of modules.

The only thing that can be argued is that the name maybe should be
without capital letters, but I do not think that is very important.

NACK. GNUstep is not FHS-compliant and really should be fixed.

How ?
Fork GNUstep to rewrite GNUstep Filesystem layout ?

	Eric