FHS version for etch

Debian policy is still stuck requiring FHS 2.1, although a copy of FHS
2.3 is included in the debian-policy package. As noted in bugs 212434
and 230217, the changes needed to upgrade to 2.3 are not too large, and
consist of:

2.1 to 2.2:

- new location for adjtime file (#156489)

- #212434 and the FHS 2.2 announcement also mention a hwclock move to
  /usr/sbin, but I cannot find a mention of a location for hwclock in FHS
  2.2 or 2.3.

2.2 to 2.3:

- Addition of /media. Fully set up on new sarge installs, although an
  incomplete transition means we still have a /cdrom -> /media/cdrom symlink.
  apt-cdrom will need some fixes before that link can be removed.

  Automatically transitioning a running system to /media is probably
  either impossible or a really bad idea. We will need to document it in
  the release notes as a transition admins may want to do, and will need
  to preserve backwards compatability for /floppy and /cdrom if they
  exist to avoid breaking running systems.

- Addition of /srv. Directory exists, most things that could potentially
  use it do not yet by default do so. FHS does not specify that
  everything has to use it, so we already comply with the letter of the
  FHS.

  Policy should probably encourage servers to use this directory
  when appropriate, and we may want to adopt a policy for what kinds of
  subdirectories should be used in it by default. The FHS does not
  specify this, but gives the example of structuring it by protocol,
  which might be a good default for Debian.

  Note that the existance and use of /var/www has always been a FHS
  violation, which using /srv will finally let us correct.

- Requires amd64 to use /lib64 for 64 bit binaries.

  I'm told this is not present in our amd64 architecture. I suspect this
  is overspecified in the FHS and policy should excempt ia64 from the
  requirement, although someone should make sure /lib64 works if a
  extra-Debian source puts a library there.

- Requires a /usr/local/share/man be "synonomous" with /usr/local/man.
  We do not have a /usr/local/share/man, and will need to add such a
  symlink to comply.

- Requires boot loader configs in /etc, but does allow them to just be
  symlinks to the real location (ie, /etc/grub/menu.lst ->
  /boot/grub/menu.lst). We do not have such symlinks for at least grub,
  didn't check ia64, powerpc, sparc, and other arches that have
  bootloader config files. We will need to fix this.

Seconds:

2.2:
	Martin Michlmayr
	Matthias Urlichs
	Scott James Remnant
	Branden Robinson

2.3:
	I second moving to 2.3. We've already made significant progress
	in that direction and the work remaining to be done seems easily
	accomplished in the etch timeframe.

BTW, current LSB versions require these new versions of the FHS.

--
see shy jo