Re: upstream field in package description

Es geschah am Freitag 13 Mai 2005 22:15 als Adeodato Simó schrieb:
>   That if a package does not contain those two bits of information in
>   the copyright file (author and where to get the source), you should
>   file a serious bug against the package, since the Debian Policy §12.5
>   mandates that such information must be present.

Good on paper, better to be enforced.

> > I would like to ask for adding a new field to Debian package descriptions
> > which defines the upstream source of a package, that is the location
> > where the original sources were downloaded and probably optional as
> > another field the upstream authors, like:
> >
> > Upstream-Source: http://www.getithere.org
> > Upstream-Author: Foo Crew <foocrew@getithere.org>
>
>   Hence no need for this, its place is not the description but the
>   copyright file, already.

Right, but as a package description field it's easy to ensure (automatically)
that this information is really provided. You can't seriously check that
automatically on a README or copyright file.

This would improve quality of the Debian distribution and be handy for users
as well.

CU
Christian