Re: watch file in policy

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:16:28PM +0100, Bluefuture wrote:
> > Hello Bluefuture,
> > while I appreciate your effort with DEHS, I think you do not realise
> > how many package cannot have useful watch files.
> >
> > I maintain 9 non Debian-native sources packages:
> > 1 have no upstream website anymore.
>
> Is it upstream unmantained? From where you download new releases?
> There isn't any upstream work for it for months/years and you are developing
> patch becoming "de facto" the debian upstream author?

This is libjpeg. Last upstream release from 1998. It is virtually bugfree.
I just make minor changes to the packaging.

> > 1 has no upstream tarball. (The source tarball is made by aggregation
> > of files found on the upstream website).
>
> Well no dehs/watch file info is possible we cannot talk about official
> upstream releases.
>
> > 1 is not versionned upstream.
>
> Well no dehs/watch file info is possible we cannot talk about official
> upstream releases.
>
> > 4 do not come with usable upstream tarball for Debian, so I need to
> > repackage them.
>
> If i could retrive version number from tarball for some package i can use
> watch file without uupdate option.

Yes, but if I provide a watch file, people will use uscan and end up
with garbage.

> Well by dehs point of view all this are useful because dehs doesn't use
> watch file as maintainer option tools, but as an overhall information system
> about debian and external relationship.

Then you should improve uscan and the watch format so that it can
support more kind of packages.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>