Re: More on icons for packages

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:20:34 +0000, Paul Brossier <piem-lists@altern.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 19:35 -0500, Dale C. Scheetz wrote:
> > With regards to GNOME panel icons. The "add to panel" option now no
> > longer offers "launcher from menu" so now with the "custom launcer"
> > you have to hunt for your icon.
>
> well yes, here it does at least. you can also drag and drop it from your
> menu.

Yes, that works here too, but doesn't that use the icon displayed in
the menu entry? For Spider I conformed to the menu spec and made the
icon 32x32 pixels in xpm format. The icon I would prefer to use on the
desktop/panel is 114x154 pixels and gives a smoother lookeing icon.
I'll have to experiment with violating the menu spec and seeing how it
works...

> On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 18:17 -0500, Dale C. Scheetz wrote:
> > It might be better to reserve /usr/share/pixmaps specifically for menu
> > icons in xpm format and create /usr/share/icons for png gif and jpeg
> > icon images.
>
> i don't think this is the right way to go. gnome and kde use the
> freedesktop standard and look for their icons in /usr/share/pixmaps.

I see your point. I was not aware of the other "specifications". One
single location for icons makes great sense.
> other applications using icons should seriously consider looking in
> there if they want to find any icon. clever ones could prune redundant
> icon according to their file format preference.
>
> you don't really want to use jpeg in a menu do you?

Naaah, I just included it for completeness, png is a much better format ;-)

> > Is it worth while trying to get some general icon policy established or
> > am I straigning at gnats?
>
> another manual does not seem required. but mentionning the use
> of .desktop would be a worth addition to the menu manual.

Except that it has little to do with the menu specification. For those
like me who went searching for "icon" in the docs it would be nice to
have a section with that title that points at the menu spec and the
desktop spec and any other useful help with icon managment.

> see http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/

This is very useful. Thank you!

BTW, DSL (Damn Small Linux, a Debian based live cd distro) uses its
own desktop icon format in a .lnk file in the .xdesktop directory for
that user.

I'm still left with a question: How do I, as a package maintainer,
provide these .desktop files so the user either automatically or by
some simple choice gets the icon on their desktop?

Waiting is,

Dwarf