Re: More on icons for packages

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 07:35:42PM -0500, Dale C. Scheetz wrote:
> Well, I finally found some documentation on icons in menu
> specifications. What it says is pretty specific and goes against what I
> found when I looked at actual packages.
>
> 1. the documentation says all icons go into /usr/share/pixmaps and
>
> 2. all menu icons should be 32x32 pixels and be in xpm format.

3 points:

Your quote is an extract from the Debian menu manual
<http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/>
or
<file:///usr/share/doc/menu/html/index.html>

1) this is only for icons used in menu file for the Debian menu
systems. Icons used by window managers and files managers are a completly
different business.

2) It says _at most_ 32x32 pixels.

> But, when I looked at several packages, many put their icons in
> /usr/share/package-name/icons/ and very few actually use 32x32 for their
> size even when they are placed in /usr/share/pixmaps/.
>
> This document is only indirectly referenced in the policy manual, so it
> isn't clear how much force it has. (it could be taken as the mearest
> suggestion by the menu package maintainer)
>
> /usr/share/pixmaps has lots of png files and many images are larger than
> 32x32.
>
> Are these issues that should be resolved with bug reports?

At least, they are flagged as bugs by lintian:
<http://lintian.debian.org/reports/Tmenu-icon-too-big.html>
<http://lintian.debian.org/reports/Tmenu-icon-not-in-xpm-format.html>

I try to get as much menu related bugs as I can, but I don't get much
support.

> With regards to GNOME panel icons. The "add to panel" option now no
> longer offers "launcher from menu" so now with the "custom launcer" you
> have to hunt for your icon. The default place to look is
> /usr/share/pixmaps, so it would be user helpful to have all icons in
> that location instead of requiring a hunt through all the other
> possibilities when you don't find the icon you are looking for.
>
> Personally I like larger than 32x32 icons for the panel because icons
> are scaled to fit the panel so fairly large ones give much cleaner
> detail when scaled to fit.

The menu manual is only relevant for icons part of the window-managers
menu, not GNOME panel icons.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>