policy for "/etc/init.d/foo status"?

Hello

(technical discussion probably belongs to debian-devel but I first want
to ask if this has already brought to discussion here as the init scripts
output is part of the poliy)

I user just wrote me that he uses some kind of monitoring tool and would be
happy if every server would have his own way to see if it is really running
(and not only present in the processlist) and if this service would be
available through a general interface like "/etc/init.d/foo status".

Currently some servers implement "status" but there seems to be no standard
nor recommendation what should be given back.

Letting such a check be implemented by the maintainers would at least be
better than seeing watchdog scripts that just check for strings in the
process list or similar things which seem to work just as long as it's not
needed.

One idea would be some kind of exit code list
 100 - up and running
 110 - up but not responding correctly
 111 - down
 112 - administrativly wanted to be down
Another some kind of machine readable first line.

bye,

-christian-