Re: How much utf-8 do we accept in control files?

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:43:59PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently, there are a quite some requests open how much utf-8 is
> acceptable in control-files. Currently at least the following requests are
> open:
> #99324: Default charset should be UTF-8
> #142164: Packages files should be in UTF-8
> #208011: [PROPOSAL] UTF-8 encoding for debian/control
> #241333: policy mentions that changelogs should be utf-8; this is a bug
>
> Furthermore, some maintainers use already utf-8 for their name (this means
> in debian/control and in the changelog).
>
> It seems quite obvious to me that we shouldn't switch to utf-8 in the control
> files before release of sarge. However, it seems also obvious to me that we
> won't escape allowing utf-8 in the long run. Therefor, I'd suggest to
> officially allow utf-8 (but encourage to stick to ascii) in the control
> files after release of sarge, and till then allow utf-8 only for the
> maintainer/uploader name (as the current use is).

Packages with non UTF-8 characters in their description:
    Woody only        Sid only               Woody and sid
  doc-linux-es      abcm2ps                appunti-informatica-libera
  fortunes-es-off   fortunes-fr            doc-linux-html-pt
  gpsman            fortunes-it            doc-linux-text-pt
  icatalan          itcl3                  lg-issue46
  ldp-es            itcl3-dev              libtext-unaccent-perl
  ldp-es-garl       itcl3-doc              libunac1-dev
  ldp-es-glup       kerberos4kth-clients   linux-tutorial-es
  ldp-es-gulp       kerberos4kth-clients-x maint-guide-de
  ldp-es-lipp       kerberos4kth-dev       maint-guide-es
  libpari1          kerberos4kth-docs      maint-guide-ja
  libpari1-dev      kerberos4kth-kdc       maint-guide-ru
  logcheck          kerberos4kth-kip       pari-extra
  lucas             kerberos4kth-servers   sympa
  lucas-manifesto   kerberos4kth-servers-x
  lucas-novato      kerberos4kth-services
  lucas-redes       kerberos4kth-user
  lucas-root        kerberos4kth-x11
  magicfilter       kerberos4kth1
  manpages-es       libkadm1-kerberos4kth
  manpages-es-extra libkafs0-kerberos4kth
  pari-doc          libkdb-1-kerberos4kth
  pari-gp           libkrb-1-kerberos4kth
  teg               libkthacl1-kerberos4kth
  wcatalan          libotp0-kerberos4kth
  wordnet           libroken16-kerberos4kth
  wordnet-base      libsl0-kerberos4kth
  wordnet-dev       libss0-kerberos4kth
                    maint-guide-pl
                    movixmaker-2
                    pyca
                    xmms-arts

On September 2003, I sent a mail to maintainers putting non UTF-8
characters in their packages' description, asking them to use
ASCII or UTF-8 only if needed.
The following packages have been fixed:
  cu fortunes-es-off gpsman lbt ldp-es-lipp2 libpari1 libpari1-dev
  lucas lucas-manifesto lucas-novato lucas-redes lucas-root
  magicfilter netspeed pari-doc pari-gp rtlinux units-filter
all of them except gpsman and lbt are now ASCII only.
Can someone convince Mikael Sennerholm to fix Kerberos descriptions?

Denis