Re: Documentation on handling of orig.tar.gz files for Developer's Reference or for Debian Policy

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:45:36 -0800, Chris Waters <xtifr@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 01:47:02PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:39:44 -0800, Chris Waters <xtifr@debian.org>
>> said:

>> > I'm not at all sure how this rule would apply, for example, to my
>> > own pilot-manager_1.107.0pre108.orig.tar.gz.  Everything in there
>> > is from upstream's website, except my own note on how I put the
>> > pieces together.  Do I need to remove that note?

>> I think so, yes.

> So in other words, I'm to be punished for my negligent maintaining

	Oh, _do_ grow up.

> of the upstream website?  And all I need to do to satisfy your silly
> complaint is to scp my note to the website somewhere?  Do I need to
> provide a link anywhere?  How about if I simply add a link on the
> upstream website to the tarball on Debian's servers?

	You may throw how ever many childish tenmper tantrums you
 want, or exercise your 'leet abilities to "Look! I can change
 upstream to match whatever I ship! Anytime! Mua hah ahhaha", but the
 simple fact remains: what you are shipping as orig.tar.gz does not
 match what people can download from the upstream site, and it is
 deviating from the recommendation that we ship pristine upstream as
 far as legally possible.

	manoj

--
Please don't put a strain on our friendship by asking me to do
something for you.