Re: Documentation on handling of orig.tar.gz files for Developer's Reference or for Debian Policy

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:39:44 -0800, Chris Waters <xtifr@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 10:22:12AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:58:55 +0100, Frank Küster
>> <frank@kuesterei.ch> said:
>>
>> > ,----
>> > `----

>> That sounds reasonable to me. oir.tar.gz is supposed to be
>> _upstream's_ sources. not a mix of stuff from upstream plus stuff
>> added later.

> That assumes an easily measurable definition of "upstream".  And a
> sharp distinction between "upstream" and "DD" that may not actually
> exist (e.g. a DD may be a member of upstream).

	Red herring.  The upstream sources mean sources available from
 _upstream_ -- and has little to do with what comprises upstream
 teams, or whether the upstream team is mostly debian developers.

	How about this rule of thumb: If you get stuff from the
 primary NON DEBIAN distribution site, that is what you call
 upstream. What someone unconnected to debian, not using debian
 archives, downloads is what we also offer as upstream orig.tar.gz
 files.

> I'm not at all sure how this rule would apply, for example, to my
> own pilot-manager_1.107.0pre108.orig.tar.gz.  Everything in there is
> from upstream's website, except my own note on how I put the pieces
> together.  Do I need to remove that note?

	I think so, yes.

> That seems like a really bad idea.

	Why? There are a number of ways I can think of to enhance
 upstream sources -- like adding man pages, etc. In any case, how you
 put things together for Debian belongs in the changes you made for
 debian. Pristine upstream means pristine upstream. Either get your
 notes added to upstream website, or put them in the diffs.

	So, please curb your interest in improving upstream sources by
 modifying the upstream tarball.  If the changes are not Debian
 specific, then by all means push them upstream. Do not prevaricate to
 our suers by pretending that some material is the same as they can
 get upstream, when it is not.

>        Anyway, I was upstream project leader for most of the
> last year, up until about a week ago, when I stepped down in favor
> of someone more enthusiastic.  But I'm still an upstream developer.

	That is quite irrelevant.

	manoj
--
It's more than magnificent -- it's mediocre. Sam Goldwyn