Re: build, build-arch and build-indep targets in debian/rules

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:
>>> My proposal is to make the build-arch and build-indep targets
>>> mandatory in debian/rules so they can be utilised by dpkg-buildpackage
>>> and through that by debuild, sbuild, pbuilder, uml-builder and
>>> buildds. Packages that don't have a split build-arch and build-indep
>>> target (yet) can use the following construct:
>>>
>>> build-arch: build
>>> build-indep: build
>>
>> AFAICT, your proposal would still mean that the buildds call
>> 'debian/rules build' until after sarge+1 is released as they usually run
>> stable roots (unless those would get patched).

The proposal also contains suggestions for dpkg-buildpackage to savely
and reliably detect when to use build-arch. If policy is changed,
whatever way, to solve this dpkg-buildpackage can only use that
solution for package following the new policy. So a test for the
standard version (or a new control file field) will be needed. I don't
see a way around that.

MfG
        Goswin