Re: How much utf-8 do we accept in control files?

* Siggy Brentrup (bsb@debian.org) [040406 13:55]:
> Fine, that's the encoding side but how do you expect e.g. dpkg to present
> UTF-8 encoded control fields to the user?  If we allow (invented name)
> »Jörg Müller« to see his name correctly displayed we must also allow
> hebrew, kyrillic, arab, asian etc. names to be correctly displayed.

dpkg could have two modes: One displays this name just as "J?rg
M?ller" (drop all utf-characters > 127), and the other uses the
correct utf-8-encodings, and leaves it to the terminal what to do.
No need for dpkg to worry about that in any case.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/