Re: How much utf-8 do we accept in control files?

Siggy Brentrup <bsb@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:43:59PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
>
>> Furthermore, some maintainers use already utf-8 for their name (this
>> means in debian/control and in the changelog).
>
> While understandable from the maintainer's point of view, luckily to
> my knowledge no (e.g.) asian maintainer has done it yet.  If we allow
> non ascii in control fields, I see no valid argument to prohibit any
> character set.

The whole point of UCS/UTF-8 is to eliminate all other character sets
by providing a *universal* character set, so allowing *any* charset
would not provide a usable system, since you could not know which
charset a given control file/changelog would be encoded with.
Standardising on UTF-8 is the only way to go, other than sticking with
ASCII/ISO-8859-1 (which are obviously inadequate).

--
Roger Leigh