Re: why a debian project leader?

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:32:09AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > >Ah, consensus doesn't require voting?
> > Not in the sense that democrats are used to.  But it does involve
> > canvassing and finding out everyones position on a matter.
> Yeah, and eventually asking everyone "can we agree on this?" Then you
> say either "yeah", "nay", or "can we keep discussing please?".
>
> Sounds a hell of a lot like our current voting system to me :-)

The difference is that every single DD would have a veto power over any
decision. As if our decision making isn't slow enough already.

   "when larger groups try to make decisions by consensus, it usually
   obliges them to arrive at the lowest common intellectual denominator
   in their decision-making: the least controversial or even the most
   mediocre decision that a sizable assembly of people can attain is
   adopted-- precisely because everyone must agree with it or else
   withdraw from voting on that issue"
   --Murray Bookchin, citation from
   http://infoshop.org/faq/secA2.html#seca212

--