Re: Policy 9.2.2: s/should/must/ for add{user,group} --system?

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 02:55:06PM +0100, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 02:07:50PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > May I ask which ?
>
> When realizing it, I had the following groups (FTTOMH):
>   sslwrap:1001:
>   snort:1002:
>   postfix:1003:
>   postdrop:1004:

Thanks! Writing a lintian check could be an option.

> > It is my understanding that the `should' above refer specifically to the
> > use of `adduser --system', and not of the 100-999 range.
> >
> > I would regard any violation of the uid/gid range given in this section
> > as a serious policy violation by regard of the amount of breakage it
> > cause.
>
> Seconded, but still there is no 'must' or 'required' in 9.2.2

Policy 9.2.2 read (enphasize added):

     Because some packages need to include files
     which are owned by these users or groups, or need the ids compiled
     into binaries, these ids *must* be used on any Debian system only for
     the purpose for which they are allocated.

I think this is sufficient. Whether we should require the use of
`adduser --system' over any others means to achieve a similar result
is a separate matter, though I would tend to agree.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.