Re: Exact dependencies and Architecture: all packages

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 04:09:21PM -0600, Chris Cheney wrote:
> Because libqt3-mt-dev is Arch: any and depends on libqt3-headers which
> is Arch: all any arch that hasn't built a new version of the package in
> the archive will then fail to build anything that Build-Depends on it.
> This is a major problem particularly with Qt/KDE on m68k.

No, it's not a major problem (although it's a minor annoyance); it takes
negligible time for a buildd to try satisfying the dependencies and
notice that they don't work, the builds can easily be retried again
later, and it's not as if your package would be ready for testing before
the one it depends on anyway. I think you worry too much about routine
buildd issues. :)

> Or as a second possible solution make w-b check whether packages
> Build-Depends are actually satisified and setting them to Dep-Wait if
> not.

This is what already happens, only with a low-effort build in the middle
followed by human intervention ...

> This of course does have a negative possible side-effect of someone
> typoing a Build-Depends that is then never able to be satisified.

... which solves this problem.