Re: Exact dependencies and Architecture: all packages

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:12:57AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:03:30PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:47:02AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > I think that we should recommend against using (= ${Source-Version})
> > > dependencies from Architecture: all to Architecture: any packages or
> > > vice versa. They're OK between architecture-independent packages and
> > > between architecture-dependent packages, but mixing those causes
> > > trouble.

[xlibs-static-dev and xlibs]

> If the tight binding is necessary, an alternative would be:
>
>   Package: xlibs-static-dev
>   Depends: xlibs (>= ${Source-Version}), xlibs (<< ${Next-Source-Version})

Ugh, ugh, ugh.  That's so gross.  So horribly gross.

Not saying I prefer the problem you're trying to fix.  Just saying ugh.

> ... where Next-Source-Version (or whatever) is a substvar set to the
> hypothetical version of the next possible sourceful upload (so 4.3.0-1
> => 4.3.0-1.1; 4.3.0-1.1 => 4.3.0-1.2). I haven't tried writing the code
> to see how hard such a substvar would be to generate automatically.

"Next hypothetical version" is a big leap.  It runs against the grain of
my instincts to put speculative "knowledge" into our package dependency
graph.

> > I'm tempted to support your proposal, however.
>
> Thanks, I appreciate knowing that I'm not off the rails here. :) I'd
> like there to be some example implementations of automatically
> generating dependencies like the above before turning this into a formal
> policy proposal.

It turns out I don't think I needed that dependency anyway, and I got
rid of it.  The svn commit log and changelog entry make the case for
doing so.

Thanks for prompting me to check for it.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Religion is regarded by the common
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    people as true, by the wise as