Re: Exact dependencies and Architecture: all packages

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:47:02AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> I just found myself unable to do a binary-only NMU because an
> Architecture: all binary package from that source package had an exact
> dependency, generated with (= ${Source-Version}), on an Architecture:
> any binary package from the same source package. Whatever way I did the
> upload, it would either break the architecture I was planning to upload
> on or else all other architectures. As a result, a sourceful upload will
> be required. See #227618.
>
> I think that we should recommend against using (= ${Source-Version})
> dependencies from Architecture: all to Architecture: any packages or
> vice versa. They're OK between architecture-independent packages and
> between architecture-dependent packages, but mixing those causes
> trouble.
>
> I can't immediately think of an easy way to scan the archive for this
> problem, unfortunately.

Hmm, I do this in precisely one place in XFree86 4.3.0:

Package: xlibs-static-dev
Section: libdevel
Architecture: any
Depends: xlibs (= ${Source-Version}), x-dev, libxext-dev, libxv-dev, libx11-dev, zlib1g-dev | libz-dev, libc6-dev | libc-dev
Suggests: xspecs
Conflicts: xdevel, xlib6g-dev, xlib6g-static, xpm4g-dev, xmanpages, libxfont-xtt-dev
Replaces: xbase (<< 3.3.2.3a-2), xdevel, xpm4g-dev, xmanpages, xlib6g-dev, xlib6g-static, libxfont-xtt-dev, xfs-xtt (<< 1:1.3.0.1-15)
Provides: libxpm4-dev, xmanpages

Package: xlibs
Section: libs
Architecture: all
Depends: libice6, libsm6, libx11-6, libxext6, libxft1, libxi6, libxmu6, libxmuu1, libxp6, libxpm4, libxrandr2, libxt6, libxtrap6, libxtst6, xlibs-data, ${misc:Depends}
Conflicts: xbase, xlib, xlib6, xlib6g, xlib6g-dev, xpm4g, fvwm-common, qcad (<< 1.4.6-1), xbase-clients (<< 4.0), xcontrib (<< 4.0), xsm (<< 4.0)
Replaces: xbase, xlib, xlib6, xlib6g, xlib6g-dev, xpm4g, fvwm-common, qcad (<< 1.4.6-1), xbase-clients (<< 4.0), xcontrib (<< 4.0), xsm (<< 4.0)

I'll ponder on this and see if it's really warranted.

I'm tempted to support your proposal, however.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       If we believe absurdities, we
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       shall commit atrocities.