Re: Policy for 32-bit uids/gids?

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 09:58:12AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 01:15:09PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > [Re-sent due to inability to properly address email.]

> > Section 10.2 of policy currently describes uid and gid classes covering
> > the range of 0-65535.  This appears to no longer be comprehensive: on a
> > current system running a 2.4.18 kernel and libc6 2.3.1-17, I'm able to
> > assign 32-bit userids to accounts and reference these accounts in file
> > ownerships, su to them, etc.  Should Debian Policy be expanded to
> > address this greatly increased range of available ids?

> This, together with your specific Samba proposal, sounds like a good
> idea, provided that the failures experienced by people with older
> kernels will be graceful and reasonably self-explanatory. Is anyone in a
> position to test this?

On my last remaining 2.2 machine, with glibc 2.1.2, userspace uid_t is
32 bit and attempting to call chown() with a value in excess of 2^16
results in it being silently truncated.  I'm not sure what the behavior
of glibc 2.2 is in this regard; if no one else is in a position to
check, I'll see what I can find out.

> (from /usr/share/doc/base-passwd/README)

Ah, good to know, thanks.

> > However, with the recent availability of 32-bit uids, this seems
> > unnecessary.  I would suggest allocating a 16-bit range out of the
> > remaining (2^32-2^16) uids for Samba's use, and the same for gids;

> Provisionally, seems sensible. Should base-passwd be the registry for
> any similar high allocations in the future, or policy?

I think that for listing which ones have in fact been registered by
packages, base-passwd is fine; but I definitely feel that this general
sort of usage needs to first be authorized (and documented) in Policy.

> I'm slightly concerned by how we're going to map onto other systems'
> uses of 32-bit uids here, since there will already be some. 0-99 and
> 60000-64999 were reasonably obvious back in the day, but I don't have a
> feel for how big systems are allocating uids now. I would be inclined to
> start allocating from near the top, although perhaps not right at the
> top to avoid 2^32-1. Perhaps we should reserve something like 2^32-2^24
> to 2^32-2^16 (255 chunks) so that we have space for anything else that
> may turn out to need similar large block allocations.

> I would like to see an initiative to agree this between multiple
> distributions via the LSB or similar with input from people running
> large systems, otherwise there'll probably be a horrible mess down the
> line.

This seems reasonable.  I have a good idea how to open a dialog with the
LSB folks about this, but how would we go about getting input
specifically from large installations that have already broken the 2^16
barrier?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer