Re: Policy for 32-bit uids/gids?

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:23:03AM -0400, David B Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:15:09 -0500
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:

> > Section 10.2 of policy currently describes uid and gid classes covering
> > the range of 0-65535.  This appears to no longer be comprehensive: on a
> > current system running a 2.4.18 kernel and libc6 2.3.1-17, I'm able to
> > assign 32-bit userids to accounts and reference these accounts in file
> > ownerships, su to them, etc.  Should Debian Policy be expanded to
> > address this greatly increased range of available ids?

> I certainly agree with the general idea, as well as the specific
> proposal of allocating 2^16 UIDs for Samba's idmap usage.

> That being said, will Sarge release with the minimum requisites for the
> 2^32 UIDs? If so, I'm happy. But somebody should ask the RM to be sure.
> Otherwise, I would think it'd have to wait until Sarge+1.

> Specifically, quota stuff. Every tree but Marcello's has implemented 32
> bit quotas, as far as I know, but not his. So 32 bit quotas aren't
> "official" yet. Might need Xu to patch the default kernel images.

If Debian ever hopes to have a policy beyond "all remaining uids and
gids are reserved for local use", it's important to stake our claim
*before* 32-bit ids are universally supported -- that is, before they're
in widespread use at sites, and site admins have already deployed
schemas that conflict with any default we might choose.

I'm content if the 32-bit id support in sarge is not a 100% solution.
Defaults never work for everybody.  But the way things are looking now,
the current defaults (no available range) will work for a diminishing
proportion of users.  I don't see how a default uid range that some
people can't use is worse than an empty default uid range that no one
can use.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer