Re: cdbs and Build-Depends-Indep

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:27:13PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> You just want to give up?  I think that'd be very depressing.  You know,
> there is another solution: have the autobuilders install
> Build-Depends-Indep too until such time as we have a proper
> build-arch/build-indep.

Well, I prefer to give up, sorry. There is a huge backlog of discussion
on related issues (see #72335 and #88111) and I don't want to resurrect a
dead flamewar. Also I never get answer from the dpkg team on my proposal
at the end of #148932. So yes, I give up.

As for your solution, this is a matter of taste between cleanness in the
code and cleaness in what is done.

I prefer the later. Not having the buildd installing tons of unneeded
packages reduce build problems and make the logs more readable, and your
solution does not solve the problem of failure of the build-indep on
some architectures.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>